- 1 tbsp olive oil (15 ml)
- 2 small white onions, diced (200 g)
- 2 cloves garlic, minced (10 g)
- 2 red bell peppers, diced (280 g)
- 1 jalapeno pepper, seeds removed and diced (50 g)
- 1 cup corn (130 g)
- 1 19oz can black beans, drained and rinsed (540 ml)
- 1/4 tsp smoked paprika
- 1/4 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp pepper
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro
- 1 lime, zest, and juice (2 tbsp juice)
- 12 8 inch wheat or corn tortilla
- 2 packages or 1 jar red or green enchilada sauce (500 ml, about 2 cups)
- 1 cup grated vegan cheese of choice, optional
- fresh chopped cilantro, for topping
- 2 medium avocado, skin and seed removed (250 g)
- 2/3 cup light or full-fat coconut milk (160 mL)
- 1/4 cup fresh lime juice
- 1 tbsp lime zest
- 1/4 tsp salt
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a large skillet over medium heat, sauté the onion and garlic in the olive oil until softened, about 2-3 minutes.
- Add the bell peppers, jalapeno, corn, black beans, and seasonings. Cook for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Remove from the heat and stir in chopped cilantro and lime juice and zest.
- If you’re using corn tortillas, wrap in a damp paper towel and microwave for 20-30 seconds. This part is very important as it keeps the tortillas moist and stops them from cracking and breaking while rolling.
- Using an oven-safe baking dish, place ¼ cup of enchilada sauce on the bottom of the dish. Working with 1 tortilla at a time, scoop ¼ cup of filling into the middle of the tortilla and roll it up. Place each tortilla in a tight line down the center of the baking dish one by one, seam-side down. Top with the remaining sauce and sprinkle with cheese, if using. Bake for 20 minutes, uncovered. (If you used cheese, you can broil the enchiladas for 1-2 minutes until golden and bubbly.)
- To make the optional avocado crema, blend all of the ingredients until smooth in a small blender or food processor, or use an immersion blender in a suitable container.
- Serve immediately with fresh chopped cilantro, the optional avocado crema, or any other toppings you might like such as sour cream and salsa.
NUTRITION (does not include avocado crema)
Serving Size: 2 enchiladas